I. Context and objectives of the call
The Laboratoire d’excellence “Empirical Foundations of Linguistics: data, methods, models” (LabEx EFL) is a fourteen-year project, funded by the French Government (ANR-10-LABX0083). It gathers 11 research teams (CRLAO, HTL, Lacito, Lattice, LIPN, Llacan, LLF, LPP, INCC, CERMI, SeDyl) from 4 partner universities (Université Sorbonne Nouvelle, Université de Paris, Université Sorbonne Paris Nord et Institut National des Langues et Civilisations Orientales (INALCO)), in a partnership with the French National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS) and the French Research and Development Institute (IRD). It contributes to the IdEx Université de Paris (ANR-18-IDEX-0001).
The aim of the Labex EFL is to promote innovative and interdisciplinary research within Linguistics and related fields. Specific interest is given to empirical foundations (corpus analysis and experimental methods) of linguistic research. The EFL project is now launching its 9th call for applications for visiting professors. Up to 5 applicants will be selected for the 2021 International EFL Chair. The selected applicants will join one of the EFL teams. The visiting professor will be located in Paris in one of the most active academic communities for linguistics. He/she is expected to give a series of four lectures presenting innovative research in one of the fields of the Labex EFL. The selected candidates will be advised with respect to the organisation of their stay in Paris by a member of the Labex EFL.
II. Position description
The Labex EFL seeks applicants in one of the following domains:
- phonetic and phonological complexity
- experimental grammar from a cross-linguistic perspective
- typology and dynamics of linguistic systems
- language representation and processing in a lifespan perspective
- computational semantic analysis
- language resources: lexica, corpora and tools
- empirical methods in linguistics
Eligible candidates are professors or researchers (tenured or not) affiliated to a foreign research unit, willing to deliver a two-hour weekly seminar on a research topic contributing to the EFL project (http://www.labex-efl.com) within a period of 4 weeks during the year 2021. The seminars can be given in french or in english. They will be recorded and broadcast on the Labex EFL website.
The Labex EFL will cover travel expenses (economic class) and provide a fixed allowance for the participation of the professors in the International Chair.
Applications, written either in french or english, should include:
- A curriculum vitae with a list of publications
- A one-page summary with detail of the four intended seminars and a general title for the
- The dates of availability and intended length of stay in Paris (not less than 4 weeks).
- The name of the research unit in the Labex EFL that will host the professor and the name of the professor/researcher who will be his/her correspondent in the host research unit (please take formal contact with him/her before applying).
IV. Deadline and selection process
Deadline for applications: May 3rd , 2020 (midnight, Paris time)
Applications should be sent to Christel Préterre, project manager of the Labex EFL (email@example.com), copy to Emmanuel Cartier, head of training programme (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Barbara Hemforth, coordinator of the Labex EFL (email@example.com).
Applications will be examined by the Labex EFL management team and the head of the training programme. Final decisions will be made by the Scientific council in May 2020, according to the following criteria:
- academic excellence of the candidate
- relevance of the seminar proposal for the Labex EFL scientific project
- originality and complementarity with the other selected seminars
Notifications of acceptance will be sent shortly after the decision of the scientific council by Christel Préterre, project manager of the Labex EFL.